One of the best ways to understand and get familiar with the type of life in an Arcadia Gardens assisted living setting is to tour the facility. Meeting with the staff and the people living there and checking the amenities will give you an idea of how comfortable and safe will the facility be for you or your dear ones. However, before finally choosing a facility and deciding to move in, go through the checklist. It will help you in narrowing down your search.
Deciding to move into an assisted living facility is an important decision. Remember haste makes waste. Therefore, dig deeper to know what you should know in advance. The following is a comprehensive checklist for assisted living that you should consider:
Arcadia Gardens assisted living checklist: What should you look for?
The following are some of the features and services that an assisted living Care should provide:
- 24/7 security and supervision
- Assistance with day-to-day activities
- Laundry and housekeeping
- Healthcare service
- Reminders to take medicine or assist to administer them
- Exercise programs and fun activities
Arcadia Gardens assisted living checklist: Questions to ask an assisted living facility?
Touring an assisted living facility is important to ensure that it is just right for your dear ones. Do not shy away from asking all sorts of questions to ensure that the facility provides a safe and happy environment. Consider the following:
Renting or buying an apartment in Arcadia assisted living communities –
which is better? Whether you buy an apartment or rent solely depends on your choice and budget. While buying involves more costs, renting, on the other hand, can be beneficial in the following ways:
- You don’t have to worry about real estate taxes and huge down.
- If you don’t like the environment then you can always move out anytime.
- You do not have to worry about maintenance hassles.
Types of Apartments –
Consider the amenities you would want to have in your apartment. Not all the available apartments will be ideal for you. Choose the apartment depending on your needs and requirements. Before you finally decide to move in, consider the following:
- Do you want a one-bedroom, a studio, or a two-bedroom apartment?
- Will you be sharing the bathroom?
- Does the apartment have personalized arrangements for seniors with mobility issues?
- Is the apartment well-furnished?
Location of the facility –
although you might be living in a care facility, it is important to remain active and independent to avoid cognitive decline. So choosing a facility with amenities that are nearby is a bonus. Choose a facility accordingly considering the following:
- How far is the facility from your family and friends?
- Is the facility in a remote area, an urban setting, or the suburbs?
- Are there grocery stores, salons, restaurants, etc nearby the facility?
Arcadia Gardens assisted living – How experienced and well-trained are the staff?
It is important to ensure that the staff members of the facility are trained to take care of the extensive needs of the seniors. Therefore, verify the credentials of the staff and the type of training they have had. Additionally, enquire the facility if they check the background of the staff before recruiting them. At the end of the day, it is important to ensure the safety of your dear ones. Also, consider the following as well:
Staff–to–resident ratio –
A facility with an elevated turnover is best avoided. As per studies, about 70% of nursing homes do not have enough staff to take care of the needs of the residents. Hence, the residents are compelled to live in a care facility compromising the quality of care.
Does the facility provide on-site healthcare services? –
Most assisted living facilities to provide on-site healthcare services. Some of them may even have licensed professional nurses on-site. In addition, they also engage regular visits from podiatrists, dentists, and general practitioners every month.
Arcadia Gardens assisted living – How safe is the facility?
How will the facility accommodate the changing needs of the seniors? –
As we continue to age, our health will continue to change. Hence, it is important to ensure that the facility will continue to take care of the seniors and meet the demands of changing health. Make sure that the facility has memory care service and engages a facility with skilled nurses.
How does the facility respond to emergencies? –
Every assisted living facility engages a specific hospital at times of emergency. Find out the hospital to avoid any confusion. Besides health emergencies, ask them about the following:
Flood and fire safety, power outages, and burglaries
The senior community must emphasize independence and dignity.
It must promote privacy, autonomy, and freedom of choice.
Finally, when selecting Arcadia Gardens assisted living facility, make sure to consider the following key points:
- Are the professionals certified?
- Confirm if the activities take place on the premises.
- Does the facility have a regular outing schedule for the seniors?
- Do they allow pets to live in the facility?
- Do they offer transportation?
If you have made up your mind to move into an assisted living facility or are considering it for your dear ones, then ask as many questions as possible. This will shed light on the following key factors and help you in making your decision:
- Services offered at the facility
- Approximate cost of living in the facility
- How the facility handles emergencies